Blog post

Accidental fire causes $70,000 damage to Herndon townhouse: blog post

HERNDON, VA – A fire that caused an estimated $70,000 in damage to a Herndon townhouse on Monday turned out to be accidental in nature, according to a blog post from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. .

Fire investigators have determined that the fire, which started in the attic of a townhouse in the 2100 block of Monaghan Drive, was caused by a faulty electrical circuit above the bathroom in the second floor, according to the post.

Fairfax County Fire Units and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Fire and Rescue Department responded at approximately 5:46 p.m. Monday to a report of a townhouse fire in the Herndon area.

Find out what’s happening in Herndonwith free real-time Patch updates.

Upon arrival, firefighters noticed smoke visible from the roof of a two-story townhouse. Crews were able to quickly access the attic and extinguish the fire.

Seven occupants were in the house when they noticed the smell of smoke. After failing to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, one of the occupants called 911, according to the post. Although a smoke detector was present in the house, it did not activate.

Find out what’s happening in Herndonwith free real-time Patch updates.

Although nine occupants were displaced by the fire, no civilians or firefighters were injured.


Get more local news straight to your inbox. Sign up for free newsletters and patch alerts.

To request removal of your name from an arrest report, submit these required elements at [email protected]

Response rules:

  • Be respectful. It is a space for friendly local exchanges. No racist, discriminatory, vulgar or threatening language will be tolerated.
  • Be transparent. Use your real name and back up your claims.
  • Keep it local and relevant. Make sure your answers stay on topic.
  • Review the Patch Community Rules.


Source link